QUOTES

GENIUS IS COMMON????? WHAT?!!!!!!!

Okay...let me be clear.

I owe it to you to let you know when this statement "Genius Is Common" came across my brow my very first reaction was "WHAT????!!!!! Common? How? Who says? Says Who?"

In my mind I always believed a GENIUS to be exceptional, gifted, awe striking, brilliant. While I can agree that no two people are exactly alike like snowflakes and that fact alone makes us unique and special, I wouldn't be so quick to say that genius is common...that is until I was contacted out of the blue by someone with loads of energy, vigor, enthusiasm and a wealth of intelligence who passionately felt that GENIUS IS COMMON and offered me a different perspective!!

"Who was this person?", you ask. Fair question. The answer in 5,4,3,2,1...

His name is Bruce George,  Co-Founder of Russell Simmons’ Def Poetry Jam on HBO, and Founder of the “Genius is Common” Movement, which is a budding movement of activism, debates, think-tanks, and apparel. The “Genius is Common” Movement is about tearing down the Berlin Wall of the word genius.

I found this interesting. I was intrigued for sure. I did my research and was happy to learn that my time was invested wisely. I made it my business to schedule a conference call with Bruce to discuss with him voice to voice his outlook and the reason behind such a movement.

To say the phone call came in "right on time" as scheduled is saying nothing if you are in fact a professional but as many of us may have experienced some like to tote titles and esteemed positions but fail to do mere basics such as timely communication and letting your yes mean yes. Know what I'm talking about? LOL, but I digress.

Now where was I? The phone call...that's right. As you might have guessed, we had thee best phone conversation ever. It was upbeat and intellectual, funny and eye opening, refreshing and positive. It was a mutually generous exchange. A true give and take and where some might shy away from sharing their true feelings out of fear or concern that they might offend the beliefs of another I "risked it all" as I like to say(LOL) and told Bruce my initial feelings upon my introduction to the phrase Genius Is Common.

I think it's fair to say that I teetered on the offensive not because of how I said what I said but because my feelings on the word genius was so similar to the group of elitists that are not the least bit shy about holding the word genius to an "up on a pedestal" type regard...making it the furthest thing from common. Unlike the reaction that one might expect from tyrants who are in love with the sound of their own voices and ideas, Bruce was cool, excited and engaging. The sharing of my transparent feelings didn't put what they call 'a wet blanket' on the situation. What it did was spark a great debate!

My feelings, more or less, were if in fact you do something exceptionally well...you're not wrong to have an immense amount of pride in concerns to that particular genius and that was exactly Bruce's point. "If you are an excellent hair braider for example...that's your genius.", Bruce shared. His feeling is we're all born with gifts and whatever it is that you happen to do exceedingly well is your genius...which is the very foundation for his GENIUS IS COMMON movement!

This conversation not only challenged me and offered me a different line of sight but it compelled me to look at the bigger picture. As far as differences in opinion goes, people could argue relentlessly about their individual standpoints and why this person's right or that person's wrong but at the end of the day anything that injects positivity, healthy self esteem, pride, dignity and a championing spirit into humanity is hands down a WIN WIN and I'm here for it!!!!

AND...I'm not the only one!

The “Genius is Common” Movement is spreading like wildfire. It's now in 9 countries and is growing more and more everyday as people from all walks of life including but not limited to celebrities such as Nikki Giovanni; Malik Yoba; The Last Poets gravitate toward this refreshing movement!

I don't know about you but I love the reasoning behind all of this. The phrase alone challenges you to think and debate with yourself about what you consider a genius to be. I find it exciting to have the opportunity to be a part of something so special. It uplifts on purpose and that is way DOPE!! 

If you're ready to be empowered and instantly inspired then quick, fast and in a hurry visit the Genius is Common Website: http://geniusiscommon.com and access hundreds of videos(including mine) from all over the world that are full of joy and purpose as they share their individual genius.


https://vimeo.com/208976745


A GREAT BIG HUGE THANK YOU to Bruce George for caring enough to enlighten, challenge and inspire the world to connect with our genius.

I am better for having been introduced to this movement and I hope it has the same affect on you.

I've gotta go lovelies and handle more SUPER COOL business but before I go I'd like to encourage you to choose to be happy, to make someone's day...be it with a smile/a kind word/a hug...even if that someone is you! You're worth it!!!

Now go out there and have a productive day and while you're doing that, let the world know...

WHAT'S YOUR GENIUS?????!!! :)

xoxo,

Mahoghany 



             

No comments:

Post a Comment

HAPPINESS FOR SURVIVAL STAGE PLAY Designed by Templateism.com Copyright © 2014

Theme images by lucato. Powered by Blogger.