QUOTES

THANKS MICHAEL EUGENE JOHNSON!!

 

 
I remember like it was yesterday walking into what appeared to be this wonderfully modest building in hopes that I might find a home for my very 1st written/directed/produced stage play Love, Laugh & Live to Create in 2004. Unaware of who I might meet, I in fact met Mr. Michael Johnson. He was cool, laid back and knowledgeable. I on the other hand was ambitious, fast talking...exhaustingly energetic.
 
At the time I was unaware of Mr. Johnson's resume, what he had previously seen, done or been exposed to in the world of the arts. All I knew is that his venue, The Heritage Theater was close by, the parking was free and the rental price was in the confines of good taste for my pockets at that time.(lol) As I sat there speaking emphatically about why I believed in my play, he was multi tasking...which included but was not limited to listening to me, crunching some numbers & offering them to me across the desk & I accepted. Yay, I thought, I have a venue for my play!
 
Just like that I was off to the races. Started putting the production wheels in motion. As I corresponded back and forth with Mr. Johnson I soon realized that he had my best interest at heart. I could tell that he was impressed by my passion and hard work...the fact that I wasn't into making excuses. After several meetings, phone calls, phone tag etc. it all led to an amazing time on August 14/15, 2004  when Love Laugh & Live to Create was born!!
 
It was so exciting! I kept thinking "WE DID IT!! We performed our hearts out. We danced and enjoyed and felt a sense of accomplishment from our souls!!" Our hard work had paid off in such a big way...to us anyway. I remember the audience enjoying themselves so much so that they didn't want to leave & that was a great feeling too.
 
Anyhoo, through the crowd of happy congratulating faces I found Mr. Johnson & so I ran over to him hastily and I said
"Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson aren't you proud of us?" and his answer shocked me. He said "NO." After a nice size pause he resumed his statement and said "I'm proud of you."
 
I smiled and felt tears coming to my eyes because I was talking to the very person who decided to take a chance on me and all that I told him I believed I could and would do. I was humbled at how everything worked out. I was happy that he was pleased...feeling like he invested well on a "Long Shot"(me).
 
That was wonderfully encouraging and I take that moment with me throughout my journey.
 
So, Thank you Mr. Michael Eugene Johnson...THANK YOU!!    
 
Creative Director Paul Robeson Performing Arts Center
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

HAPPINESS FOR SURVIVAL STAGE PLAY Designed by Templateism.com Copyright © 2014

Theme images by lucato. Powered by Blogger.