QUOTES

REPARATIONS at Morgan State University!!!!!!!!


I shared time and space with my fam last night at Morgan State University.

Destination? Stage production Reparations!

Let's not waste a second...here we go!

I love going to see and experience art without having tons of info before I do because it's my opportunity to go on a curiously authentic journey and I did. Upon arrival we were greeted with the sounds of a drum and the best seats in the house. No, no VIP status necessary. It was first come first serve, lol.

Initially we came out to support our fellow thespian friend Sandra Jenkins as Nanna, who gave a great performance! As she sang, I couldn't help but be drawn to the melodic and soulful sounds of Danielle Muse as Lawanda Jones. You better WORK!!! After seeing Sandy in the first few moments of the productions start...along with hearing the captivating melodies of Ms. Muse, I felt confident that if her performance was any indication of things to come I would be pleasantly surprised, with each performance after serving as the cherry on top and here's what I discovered and found to be most memorable...

I LOOOOOOVED the OLD MAN portrayed to perfection by Jaheim James(Escaped Slave/Noah Jacobs)!!!!! He was my absolute favorite. Totally authentic as he spoke, as he danced...it was wonderful to see him BE the character.

I enjoyed the choreography in "I Want a White Woman". It was flawlessly executed. Congrats to the choreographer Torens Johnson.

I was completely captivated by the sound and feel of "Break the Chains" and I just couldn't stop groovn in my seat to "Give a Brother Credit". Congrats to Song writer Joseph Edwards and Composer/Arranger Ricardo James.


Thanks to the Director Shirley Basfield Dunlap as well as the entire cast/crew for such an enlightening performance via talent, education and thought provoking content!

 *******************************************************************************


Directed by Shirley Basfield Dunlap
Script and music by Joseph Edwards

A successful lawyer takes a case defending an insurance provider whose ancestor company insured enslaved Africans. He encounters an Ancient Ancestor Spirit with a mission to redirect his lost soul, but what happens when divine intervention meets denial and arrogance? What happens to a man’s world when he discovers that his true identity and his true love are both bound to the struggle for liberation.

The goal of creating Reparations is to use the arts to create dialogue around reparations and reconciliation in an engaging, entertaining and authentic way. The story, the music, the dance with NYC guest actors are sure to be a bold theatrical experience that will leave audiences laughing, singing and informed.

Friday, April 10, 2015 @ 7:30 PM – Opening Night $40.00 (includes Reception)
Saturday, April 11 & 18, 2015 @ 2:00 & 7:30 PM
Sunday, April 12 & 19, 2015 @ 3:00 PM
Thursday, April 16, 2015 @ 10:30 PM (Student Matinee)*
Friday, April 17, 2015 @ 7:30 PM

 
 
Artwork "THE FORGOTTEN JOURNEY"-BY LARRY PONCHO BROWN WWW.THEARTOFPONCHO.COM
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

HAPPINESS FOR SURVIVAL STAGE PLAY Designed by Templateism.com Copyright © 2014

Theme images by lucato. Powered by Blogger.