QUOTES

THE STRUGGLE IS REAL…BOY IS IT EVER!!


I must admit, I wasn’t going to write about this. Now let’s be honest, it’s no secret that I’ve written about this before but in my effort to move forward and shy away from the perception of self-pity, ungratefulness and doubt…I thought, pondered and thought some more about whether I should tackle these emotions in a blog style fashion and my answer was “Of course you should.” “Why?”…because it’s my truth, why, because it’s someone else out there who will feel a lot less alone…knowing that they are not only understood but identified with. May what I’m about to share be a source of light and comfort to whomever is in need. So, here I am…ready to chat about it. Like to hear it? Here it go!  

Who hasn’t heard the saying “If you want something different, do something different” or “Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity” or many more sayings like that? Well, I feel like I’ve heard them all and a great deal of those statements and others like it have truly aided me in being proactive. No doubt about it…those thoughts that have often come to me in the form of bumper stickers while sitting in rush hour traffic or in a post on social media has moved me to action in the interest of thinking differently.

Not allowing myself to get caught up in the negativity was great. Not signing up for the “Woe is me…I’m stuck” awards and having a hands on say as to how I was going to live my life was undeniably empowering. So, where lies the problem? Good question. For me, the problem was that I had lived by these sayings for years and years and years, boldly believing that by doing so it would make all the difference in the world. I thought if I just did things differently and took risks, if I traveled and networked and reached out and applied myself…that things would be wonderful. I thought that I would thrive…that I would be super successful. I thought that if I hustled hard I couldn’t help but see the fruits of my labor but oddly enough that wasn’t exactly the case.

There I was…hard working, passionate, prepared, talented, self-sacrificing and persistent, yet I couldn’t help but feel like I was spinning my wheels. It was like going to the gym every day, putting in work, sweating all the down into your socks for a year only to lose 2 pounds. So frustrating!! After many chants of self-esteem boosting affirmations, the one millionth networking party, new headshots that were said to be necessary even though the ink has yet to dry on your most recent images and my favorite “I can’t afford to pay you but it should be great exposure.” I know I speak for so many when I say that we have literally all had all the “EXPOSURE” that we can use. How long can anyone be used and look the other way while grinning like it’s fun and/or acceptable to be a local celebrity but still hungry at the end of the day. OMGOODNESS…one could seriously go insane.

I was hit with many pieces of unsolicited advice by the way…everything from “Forget about this whole show biz thing and get married and have a few babies” to “Maybe it’s time to give this up now and get a real job”. Now I’m not saying that this advice that I was forced to hear at times were extended out of harm or maliciousness but what I will say is that it often came from those who never went after their dreams. It came from those who apparently knew nothing about how I felt inside or felt it easier to quit than to face the possibility of constant disappointment. I was too focused and too determined to hear what these people were saying. To me they fell under the category of naysayers and I felt like I must protect my dreams at all cost. I shall not be moved!   

I remember hearing someone say “I know dues have to be paid, but does that mean you have to go through all this hurt and pain just to get a little bit closer to your dream?” I’m inclined to believe that the answer is yes. Now make no mistake, I know no two paths are completely the same but you have to admit that so many people that are now wonderfully successful have some gut wrenching stories before success was their reality…especially in show biz. Some were abandoned, others assaulted, homeless, hungry, drug addiction, abused in so many ways…and the list goes on and on.

I find comfort in their courage and willingness to share their truths. It’s quite remarkable to me that through the depths of their despair and loneliness they still went on to accomplish amazing things. When I think of what I’ve experienced thus far, I too know that I will be a source of inspiration to others. In many ways I already am and I’m so humbled by it because there are those times that I am praised and celebrated in the midst of me going through a great deal. Sacrifices have to be made in order to accomplish your dreams and you should know and understand that there will be times that you will be horribly uncomfortable. Change is often uncomfortable.

Me personally, in my journey thus far, I have been terribly uncomfortable. The first thing I sacrificed was owning my own business and in turn sacrificed my money…as a result I sacrificed my home. In sacrificing my home I sacrificed my independence and that trickled over into my relationship. What a painful time!! It all happened so fast and I kept trying to be empowered saying to myself “These are results from the choices you made”, hoping that would be a reminder that I was not a victim but rather a woman who made a choice to go after my dreams.

In saying that I never knew that things would get so bad before it got better. I didn’t know about the depression and sleepless nights. I didn’t know I could cry so much. I didn’t know that I would go from having Nordstrom’s being my second home and the name of my puppy to not even being able to afford to shop in the thrift stores. So please don’t praise me for my bravery if you think that I knew I would suffer this way and I still made the decision to do what I did. I owe it to the person reading this to let you know that I would have still gone after my dreams but I would have chosen to do it differently for sure.

I guess there are some out there who would reason “Well, why didn’t you go back to what you had before? At least you would have been comfortable again, happy again, financially secure again.” I can only say that when you’ve traveled down a certain road so many times, you know exactly what you can expect. You know where that road leads. I knew that I was never going to make my dreams a reality by doing the same thing that I had always done. I felt that maybe, just maybe I have to go through the fire to become a better me, to survive heartbreak and disappointments to insure that I would not only have the stamina but the thick skin needed to accomplish my dreams.

Well after more than a few years…way more, I discovered more joy and pain, more triumph and defeat and I have yet to see the results that I’ve worked so tirelessly for. That for me is a hard pill to swallow. I have sold my clothes, shoes and handbags, both online and in flea markets to support my dreams. I have styled hair on and off, did interior styling and even went as far as looking for an hourly job too all to put the pieces to the puzzle together. Throughout all of this I have loss weight and gained weight. I have had enough energy for 20 people at some points and I have felt completely wiped out at other times. I have thrived in relationships and I have abandoned them…all while pursuing this dream of mine.

I have been looked at as a fool for the sacrifices I’ve made. I’ve seen firsthand that when you are younger and share with others the passion you have for your dreams there is an upbeat willing support there. That support however, dwindles after a while because everyone has in their heads how long they feel it should take you to accomplish that dream or that goal and when it doesn’t come to pass in the timeline they’ve laid out…then as far as they are concerned…it’s never going to happen for you. You have failed. I knew that I had to keep going no matter what. For me, giving up is a billion times harder than me trying. I never wanted to volunteer to be miserable and that’s exactly what listening to those people who told me to quit would have assured me…STRAIGHT UP MISERY!!

Instead, I listen to my heart. I stay focused. I stay prepared. I keep on keeping on. I go after my dreams with reckless abandon and in many ways I’m the better for it. In an effort to keep my head up I started keeping a gratitude log. Just a list fully equipped with dates and positive experiences no matter how big or small and it’s been incredibly helpful. It is a refreshing reminder of how far I’ve come and how hard I’ve been working on my dreams, even how I’ve rolled with the punches and highlighting moments in time where I displayed having balance. I’m grateful to that log for showing me that accomplishments have been made, that I have been there for my friends, that I have produced stage plays and film,  poetry albums and performed my heart out in front of so many and to this day my love for it is ever present.

So where as I may never be completely content and or satisfied, where as I will always have an A-type personality and be a perfectionist…I have learned that to continue in the face of fear and adversity is the place that bravery is born, developed, admired and championed. May we all be brave enough to go after what many would call the impossible and thrive in self-love with passion and enthusiasm. Be thoughtful, fearless, driven…be well.

Xoxo,



Mahoghany






No comments:

Post a Comment

HAPPINESS FOR SURVIVAL STAGE PLAY Designed by Templateism.com Copyright © 2014

Theme images by lucato. Powered by Blogger.