QUOTES

ABOUT THIS YEARS NATIONAL URBAN LEAGUE CONFERENCE IN BALTIMORE...


When I hear the words "NATIONAL URBAN LEAGUE" I know there are a few things that will be automatic. I know that I will see a sea of intellectuals, professionals, movers and shakers. I know that there will be opportunities to grow as an entrepreneur as well as a  person. I know that there will be a ready made platform in place for our views to be shared and our questions answered and I also know that there will be those fashion elites in the building  who dare to dress for success and look darn good doing it!!!!

That said this years conference didn't disappoint. I personally have been looking forward to August 3-6 for some time now and I couldn't wait to get there. When I arrived I saw people who were on a mission and there to be of help. A well organized event, a  place for everything and everything in its place. I saw vendors as far as the eye could see with so many wonderful products it made me wish I had a credit card with no limit. LOL.  It was basically a one stop shop for all of your needs...both business and community. 

There was no shortage of helpful information. You name it, it was there. First time home owner information, eye screenings, marketing tools, travel advice, African American history lessons, panel discussions and so much more. It was virtually impossible not to leave better than you came.
I was definitely amongst the movers and shakers as I worked shoulder to shoulder with Owner and CEO Ricky Moore Jr. of Nyla Elise Clothing, a T-shirt and letterman jacket company.
It was loads of enthusiastic fun as we introduced the brand to the masses and encouraged them to tell a friend and like our Facebook page. It's always so inspiring to see people supporting us. In fact, some were so excited that they came back multiple times to purchase tees and for the cherry on top allowed us to take their picture as they held up their intellectual coolness in the form of a Nyla Elise T-shirt. #WINNING

As more NE man power presented itself I then had the space and time to venture out into the conference and get a bird's eye view of what it had to offer. I honestly didn't know where to start. There was just so much to see. Let's talk vendors for a second. I was wonderfully overwhelmed by all the blingy things of which there was no shortage. There were fly tees for ladies, boutique clothing, bold jewelry, handbags and much more goodness.
I have to say that the highlight of my visit with the vendors was with a fashionista by the name of NANA ADJOA!!! She is a native of Ghana and her style cannot be denied! Everything that I touched was made impeccably well and beyond stylish. The fabric choices that she selected from her native land only enhanced her beautifully crafted garments. I only wish I was in a position to buy every single piece she had. I would have given them out to everyone who cares to bring joy and color to the world through fashion because that's exactly what her clothes does. If you have a need to be bold, edgy, cool and unforgettable be sure to contact NANA ADJOA...she so has what you need!! AfricanHighFashion@gmail.com THANK ME LATER!!  

I also had the pleasure to meet the Owner and Operator of Myers Massage & Bodywork, Mr. Will Meyers Jr. himself. Myers Massage and Bodywork turns weaknesses into strengths. Their goal is to use a combination of massage therapy and physical training to promote health, wellness, and consciousness to their clients. They continue to provide knowledgeable and dependable professionals that their clients trust.
It was quite organic how we met. He was walking by our booth and he seemed to be drawn in by the bright colors and bold messages of our tees, before I knew it we were carrying on a very interesting conversation. When I shared with him that our T-shirt company was named after Rick's daughter he made the choice to take me into his confidence and share something that was rather personal.

I won't share anything about what he shared out of respect and compassion for his story but what I will share is that I am better for having met him. I learned so much about strength and thoughtfulness, about grace and kindness, about sincerity and humility. With so much going on around us I found it really touching that we were able to share time and space where everything appeared to get really quiest and still. I felt a connection to him, his energy, his caring nature...so much so that I will be supporting his business in the very near future and I am definitely looking forward to it. I will be sure to let you know how I enjoyed my much needed long overdue appointment. Stay tuned!
As some of you may know, me and The Great Blacks In Wax go way back!!! That was where I had my very first internship while I was in the 8th grade. I remember giving one of our many tours and as I was backing up while waving goodnight to that evenings patrons I accidentally bumped into an elderly woman knocking her over and I felt horrible. In a panicked like state I hurried to help her up, apologizing profusely, hoping that she would be alright but she wouldn't respond. I was scared to death. I cried out "Oh, I'm so sorry, please... please be alright." As I made my way around to look her in her face, hoping to get the understanding that she was truly ok...the unspeakable happened. She turned to wax in my arms. I almost had a heart attack. I swear she wasn't wax a few moments ago. I was freaking out. This elderly woman was none other than JANE PITTMAN herself. LOL It brought back so many memories having The Great Blacks in Wax there. They will always have  a special place in my past, present and future! If you have yet to visit please do and soon!!!! There's so much to see and learn. You can't help but be proud of your heritage!

Not to mention the Block Party with Doug E. Fresh and MC LYTE!!!! It gets no better...it was just a feel good time point blank and the period! Let's chat about the Gala that had no shortage of extremely well dressed people in every direction...that spilled over into the after party. I'm talking tuxedos and bow ties, gowns and party dresses and really good music that would make even the most uncoordinated person get up and head to the dance floor to give it the ol' college try. LOL

Saturday was back to business as usual, only this time the event was open to the public/community. It was something for everyone...especially the kids. From Toyota to Home Depot there were free giveaways. Larger than life animated dolls captured the kids attention as colorful balloons were handed out. There was face painting, music, dancing, free haircuts and smell good hair products in gift bags and the children were beyong enthused!! It was a pleasure to see their smiling faces as they learned of their endless potential/possibilities via the living breathing examples of entepreneurs surrounding them. I could have stayed there forever.

Basically I had a great time, is what I'm saying! I am officially bitten by the National Urban League and can't wait to do it again next year. I'll see you there, right?!!


Stay Productive,

Mahoghany 

No comments:

Post a Comment

HAPPINESS FOR SURVIVAL STAGE PLAY Designed by Templateism.com Copyright © 2014

Theme images by lucato. Powered by Blogger.