QUOTES

MOTHERS JUST KNOW...

My trade, when in high school, was cosmetology and I loved it. I definitely felt like that was where I was supposed to be and as far as trades go, that was the best decision I could have made. One day my cosmo sisters and I got wind of something that didn't leave us with a warm and fuzzy feeling.

What was it?!!

Of course you'd want to know that little piece of information!! You know, to set the whole scene. Ok, you're right...I'd want to know too if I were you. (lol)

The news we received was that the nursing trade had a pinning ceremony at the end of completing 1500 hours. "What's wrong with that?" you may be thinking. Nothing whatsoever. The issue that we had is that we were required to complete 1500 hours as well for our trade but there wasn't a pinning ceremony to speak of and we didn't go quietly into the night on that one. Instead, we went to our rather awesome, take no "stuff" at no time principal and expressed our grievances and wouldn't you know we got our PINNING CEREMONY!!!!! WHOOOHOOOOO!!

Now don't get me wrong, this was way cool. We were all super excited and felt victorious. We were the first cosmetology class at our school to fight for this and we knew that what we fought for would live on and benefit other cosmetology classes for years and years to come. #WINNING

So like most of us we went home and told our families what we had accomplished and all the details that led up to it and there was lots of enthusiastic congratulating going on and that felt nice for sure.

Before we could blink the day was upon us and it was indeed our PINNING CEREMONY. As I arrived at school, I see all of my cosmetology sisters and guess what else I saw...ALL of their families. "What?!! You guys brought your families?!! I didn't know we were inviting our families!! I thought that this was a triumph for us solely. I never knew that it was so much of a big deal that we were going all out like this." This conversation was a "Party of 1" type situation, as it's all happening in my head, while tears are filling up in my eyes simultaneously.

Feeling a little like I'm having an out of body experience with everybody zipping around me at the speed of light with no sound. My cosmetology teacher walked up to me and said with a big smile "Where's your family? Are they coming?" The way she said it was like she was simply making conversation, like she knew hands down that wild horses couldn't keep my peeps away...that is until she notices my puddle filled eyes and long face. I said with sadness in my voice "I didn't invite them. I didn't know it was going to be such a big deal and now seeing everyone's family here..." My teacher cut me off in mid pity party and said "Go to the office and call your mother. She still has time to get here...GO! she says.

I thought "Yeah, highly unlikely. My mom is at work. There's no way she can make it here." but I loved my teacher in that moment for giving me a glimmer of hope. So I turned and got ready to run to the nearest phone at the speed of light and as I take off running, who bends the corner with the warmest smile ever? You guessed it...MY MOM!!!!!! The joy that washed over me in that moment I still don't have the words to describe. I kept thinking how did she know that I needed her there. I hugged her so tight and yes, broke down crying. (TRUTH!!)

I didn't need another reason to love my mom but she gave me one that day whether she knew it or not...but I definitely think she knew. lol

To all the amazing parents, who do your best to love and care for your children, we love you more than you will ever know, far more than we might ever say...You make us smile and feel safe, you build up our confidence, nurture our interests and 
WE THANK YOU!! 

#MOTHERSJUSTKNOW

No comments:

Post a Comment

HAPPINESS FOR SURVIVAL STAGE PLAY Designed by Templateism.com Copyright © 2014

Theme images by lucato. Powered by Blogger.