QUOTES

I AM "MICHAEL DORSEY"!! ARE YOU?

Michael Dorsey (Dustin Hoffman) is a respected but perfectionist actor. Nobody in New York wants to hire him anymore because he is difficult to work with. According to his long-suffering agent George Fields (Sydney Pollack), Michael's attention to detail and difficult reputation led a commercial he worked on to run significantly over-schedule, because the idea of a tomato sitting down was "illogical" to him. In desperation, and as a result of his agent telling him that "no one will hire you", he dresses as a woman, auditions as "Dorothy Michaels" and wins the part. Michael plays his character as a feisty, feminist administrator, which surprises the other actors and crew. His character quickly becomes a television sensation.


Ok, Ok...no excuses, I AM MICHAEL DORSEY!! I am an unapologetic perfectionist & yes, perfectionist can be quite challenging at times to work with. Even with that said, I love it!! It's no secret that I LOVE this movie!! I felt like I was in class while watching it.

An out of work actor being way transparent about his challenges in this business and honest about what was or wasn't sensible to him as it pertained to character choices. He knew what he knew and he didn't seek the permission of others to be firm in the stance he took. I applaud that. I applaud his passion. I applaud his drive. I applaud his intentions and I applaud his courage.

I will admit that I have rubbed a few people the wrong way in this business. I admit that my disdain for mediocrity caused me to be less than tolerable of those who didn't mirror my passion and dedication...and while my intentions were great, my disposition didn't always make for a pleasant work environment. I had to learn how to control my emotions and streamline my focus in a way that would serve not only myself but my fellow cast mates that I was working alongside.

Taking nothing away from my efforts to be my best me, I also learned that when I am in the right environment, my passion, dedication and drive are both appreciated and celebrated. 

So you see, it's not about dumbing down your passion nor is it about becoming comfortable/content with mediocrity...I learned that it's about acknowledging when it's not the right place for you to thrive in. I learned that it's a bold, flashing sign that it's time to move on and when you do, do so with pride, dignity, humility and hands down...do it unapologetically.     

PS: Dustin Hoffman is BRILLIANT!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

HAPPINESS FOR SURVIVAL STAGE PLAY Designed by Templateism.com Copyright © 2014

Theme images by lucato. Powered by Blogger.